Unable to hire lifeguards because of budget cuts, the Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation Department on Thursday restricted swimming at certain public lakes this summer.
Families seeking relief from the heat will not be able to take a dip at the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale, Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas and the Castaic Lake State Recreation Area on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from July 6 through Sept. 7, because no lifeguards will be on duty.
Although swimming will be restricted, the lakes and surrounding resort areas will remain open for picnicking, boating, fishing and other recreational activities.
Meanwhile, Nature Center buildings and displays will be closed on Mondays that do not coincide with a holiday. However, facilities for hiking and picnicking will remain open Tuesdays through Sundays, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Nature Centers that will be closed on Mondays are:
- Dean Dana Friendship Community Regional Park and Nature Center in San Pedro;
- Devil's Punchbowl Natural Area in Pearblossom;
- Eaton Canyon Nature Center in Pasadena;
- Placerita Canyon Natural Area and Nature Center in Newhall;
- San Dimas Canyon Community Regional Park and Nature Center;
- Vasquez Rocks Natural Area and Nature Center in Agua Dulce; and
- Whittier Narrows Nature Center in South El Monte.