1. Casa Vega (Santa Monica) - Huge Burrito Ranchero is filling enough for dinner -- and lunch the next day. Open daily until 2 a.m., order one of Vega’s famous margaritas and stay for awhile.
2. Tere’s Mexican Grill (Hollywood) - Best place you’ve never heard of or been to unless you work at nearby Paramount. Authentic Mexican with burritos adapted for fussiest eaters. Carne asada is legendary; best chips in town for a mere $1.
3. Senor Fred (San Fernando Valley) - Burrito de Fred kicks it up a notch with flavorful ingredients like red onions. Sides of Spanish rice and black beans fill massive plate nicely.
4. La Fogata (San Fernando Valley) - Machata and asada burritos are to die for, but go before 11 a.m. and order a tasty breakfast treat with chorizo burrito. Be warned: Mariachi bands have been known to serenade patrons.
5. Pico Pica Rico (San Fernando Valley) - The size of your first studio apartment, but what it lacks in square footage it makes up for with massive burritos. Chicken version is a killer.
6. Las Fuentes (San Fernando Valley) - Chile relleno casts a spell on your taste buds, while others come wet or dry. Meats include grilled chicken breast, fried pork, and charbroiled beefsteak. Add a taco for a combo plate.
7. King Taco (Downtown) - They’re not just the king of tacos. The King’s burritos also inspires royalty with carne asada, al pastor, carnitas, cabeza lengua, chicken, buche, molleja, and suadero. Add rice and beans, and you’re still out the door for less than $5.
8. Loteria (Hollywood) - Truly unique. Check out chicken burrito covered in spicy pumpkin seed and peanut sauce for a wrap unlike any other.
9. Abuelita’s Mexican Restaurant (Santa Monica) - Live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights and an amazing brunch on Sundays. Shrimp fajita burrito! Go on a sunny day and treat yourself to lunch with picturesque backdrop.
10. Tito’s Tacos (Culver City) - Takes your basic burrito and slowly turns up the heat, adding slow-cooked chili con carne and Mexican rice to the standard beans and cheese. All for around $5.