An 18-mile stretch of mountain road is scheduled to be shut down beginning Saturday as a cold, fast-moving storm that could bring rain and snow is forecast for Southern California.
Effective 1 a.m. Saturday, the following stretches of road in the Angeles National Forest will be closed until further notice:
- Angeles Forest Highway, between Aliso Canyon Road and Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road
- Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road, between Angeles Crest Highway and Angeles Forest Highway
Because of concerns for driver safety, local access to the roads will not be allowed until the storm system has passed and all roads have been inspected, the Los Angeles County Public Works Department said in a press release.
A winter weather advisory is in effect from 6 a.m. Saturday to 3 a.m. Sunday as a storm is expected to bring rain to the LA basin and snow to mountains as low as 3,000 feet. the combined snow and wind gusts that could hit 50 mph on Saturday could make travel over mountain passes difficult.
Through the week freeze warnings were in effect in several areas including LA, San Bernardino, and Ventura.
See a map of the closures below:
View Mountain Road Closures in a larger map
More Southern California Stories:
- Plastic Skull Among Remains Found
- Amber Alert Issued for Wash. Teen
- Thomas Died From Police Beating
- Fritz's Holiday Lights 2013
- LAUSD Board Member Dies
- Woman Sentenced in Fatal Crash
- Couple Survives Home Robbery