The LA Press Club honored the work of journalists in the industry at its 59th annual Southern California Journalism Awards on June 25, 2017, in Los Angeles. NBC4 Anchor and Reporter Robert Kovacik, President of the LA Press Club, served as master of ceremonies and the NBC4 news team took home seven awards.
The awards given to the station are as follows:
1. TELEVISION JOURNALIST
- 2nd Place, Ernesto Torres, NBC4
2. PUBLIC SERVICE NEWS or FEATURE—Broadcast
- 2nd Place, Jason Kandel, Lolita Lopez, Jorge Diaz, “A Mess in Maywood”
3. GENDER/LGBTQ REPORTING
- 2nd Place, Kathy Vara, Andres Pruna, Mary Harris, “Prosecutor Shares Transgender Journey”
- 1st Place, Ernesto Torres, “A Real Gusher”
5. BREAKING NEWS
- 2nd Place, Ernesto Torres, “I See Big Fire and Smoke”
- 3rd Place, Jenna Susko, Amy Corral, Matt Goldberg, Matt Arias, “Danger & Deceit: Exposing Hollywood Tours”
7. BEST USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA TO ENHANCE and/or COVER A STORY (ORGANIZATION)
- 1st Place, Heather Navarro, Mike Bebernes and Megan Moureaux, NBC4, “Election Night on Social Media”
For a full list of winners, visit the LA Press Club website here.