Though most organizations and centers are more than happy to accept any donations that may come their way, here are a few items these charitable locales need more than others.
- Reading Glasses
- Towel Sets (bath, hand and washcloth)
- $5 gift cards to local grocery, drug stores and Amazon.com
Take part in Habitat for Humanity's Adopt-A-Family Holiday Program
- Adopt a family with donation of $250.
- Contribute a monetary donation or gift card in any amount that will go toward adopting a family.
- Fundraise with friends, family and/or co-workers to adopt one or more families.
- Coats and sweaters
- Canned goods
- Canned goods -- beef stew, ravioli, peanut butter, canned chicken, canned beef, assorted canned fruits and assorted canned vegetables.
- Packaged items -- hot cereal, mashed potatoes, stuffing mix and powdered eggs.
- Drinks -- Coffee, juices in aseptic, Ensure and baby formula.
- Personal needs -- bar and liquid soap, toothbrushes with toothpaste, laundry detergent, shaving supplies, deodorant and perfume, toilet and/or facial tissues, assorted cosmetics and feminine hygiene products.
- Men -- Pants, shirts, sweatshirts, shoes, coats and new underwear and socks.
- Children -- New or gently used clothing, entertainment tickets, music instruments, movies, board games and art supplies.
- General -- Used paper grocery bags, food, new shower supplies and household items.
The American Red Cross accepts disaster relief items (i.e. flashlights, blankets, radios) in bulk -- large quantity of the same item.
- The organization asks that those looking to donate contact Los Angeles area Logistics at (310) 477-2512 or firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure the acceptability of their donation.
- Children’s toys and instruments
- Canned food
- Grocery store vouchers
- Clothing and shoes
- Bus tokens
- Gift cards and certificates
- School supplies and uniforms
- Fleece blankets (kennels)
- Medium, large and extra large dog crates
- Gently used bath towels and wash cloths
- Canned dog food
- Extra large kongs
- Natural balance dog food rolls
- Easy-walk harnesses
*Visit the Los Angeles Animal Services website for a comprehensive list of items.