NBC4 Southern California is proud of its long tradition of celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15. On September 21 at 9:30 a.m., the station aired a NBC4 Life Connected Special in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month with exclusive stories from across the Southland with NBC4 Reporters John Cadiz Klemack, Lolita Lopez, Mekahlo Medina and Vikki Vargas. See the stories here.
Also look for public service announcements on both NBC4 and digital channel 4.2 featuring our reporters reflecting on their heritage and what it means to them.
In addition to on-air features, NBC4 is in the community supporting Latino charities through financial contributions. We kicked off the celebration with support of the annual Mexican Independence Day Parade in East L.A. which the station has been a part of for more than 10 years.
We also contribute to many nonprofit organizations dedicated to causes impacting the Latino community, including:
- Altamed Health Services
- California Chicano New Media Association
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- La Plaza de Cultura y Artes
- Mexican American Legal Defense & Education Fund
- Mexican American Opportunity Foundation
- National Latina Business Women Association
- National Hispanic Media Coalition, which honored NBC4 Social Media Reporter Mekahlo Medina for Excellence in Journalism
- Salvadoran American Leadership & Educational Fund, which honors NBC4 Southern California with the 2014 Corporate Service Award