Redmond O'Neal Formally Released From Court Ordered Rehab - NBC Southern California

Redmond O'Neal Formally Released From Court Ordered Rehab

Son of Ryan O'Neal and Farrah Fawcett congratulated in court, but warned that any slip during probation would send him to prison.



    Redmond O'Neal Formally Released From Court Ordered Rehab
    Getty Images
    Redmond O'Neal smiles while the judge praises his recovery effort in the Airport Branch Courthouse October 9, 2012 in Los Angeles, California.

    A smiling and healthy looking Redmond O'Neal left Los Angeles Superior Court Wednesday after Judge Keith Schwartz congratulated him on completing a yearlong rehab stint.

    But according to the Los Angeles Times, that same judge also warned that if the troubled son of Ryan O'Neal and Farrah Fawcett in any way slipped during his probationary period he would be sent to prison to complete his suspended sentence.

    In 2011 O'Neal pleaded no contest to two felony counts including firearms and heroin possession by a felon. Santa Monica police discovered heroin in O'Neal's car after he was pulled over for running a red light. He was sentenced to one year of intense, live-in rehab therapy by Schwartz.

    It was not the first brush with the law for O'Neal, who has been in and out of rehab centers for substance abuse since he was a teenager. He was jailed in 2009 after being found in possession of heroin during a routine security check at a California detention center. He was temporarily released from jail that same year so he could attend his mother's funeral.

    Metropolitan Nashville Police Dept.

    In September 2008, O'Neal and his father were booked on suspicion of narcotics possession following a probabtion search at Ryan's Malibu home. The elder O'Neal pleaded guilty and completed an 18 month drug diversion program.

    On Wednesday, Judge Schwartz extended Redmond O'Neal's probation to 2016 and ordered him to complete additional psychological and substance abuse counseling. O'Neal must also return to court in three months for a for a progress report and will continue to wear an electronic monitoring device.