Internships with NBC4 and Telemundo 52 Los Angeles
Here’s all you need to know about summer 2024 internships with the digital news team.
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Here’s how to apply for digital news internships at NBCLA.com and Telemundo52.com. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for information on broadcast internships.
Students interested in applying for a digital news internship with NBCLA.com and Telemundo52.com may follow the steps in this link. Then click the “I’m interested” link to submit your application. Please add in your cover letter your interest in Local Integrated Media — that’s us, the digital team!
You can also send a résumé, and writing samples to Clara Ramirez at: firstname.lastname@example.org. (This is not for broadcast focused internships.)
Summer 2024 Recruitment Timeline:
November 13, 2023 – December 8, 2023: Applications Open (may close early due to applicant volume)
Mid November – Late December: First round video interviews
Mid – Late January: Second round interviews
Late January – February: Selected candidates receive offers
Summer 2024 Internship Program:
- Applications Close: December 8th at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – applications could close earlier due to applicant volume!
- Program Dates: June 3 – August 9, 2024
- Time Commitment: 40 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need.
- Format: Opportunities listed will require an intern to work from the Universal City office 3-5 days per week.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed in this link).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
Interns must apply here on the NBUCareers site.
NBCLA.com and Telemundo52.com are looking for digital news interns. Interns will work with an integrated digital news team, working alongside veteran award-winning journalists who publish on the TV stations’ websites in English and Spanish, post to their branded social channels, and much more. Interns will cultivate news writing skills, work in a fast-paced environment, sharpen reporting skills, and learn to work in a multitude of programs toward one major goal: breaking accurate news fast online.
The team works in tandem with the TV stations’ newscasts, converting on-air scripts to easy-to-read digital stories with attention-grabbing headlines.
The role will be in office, and interns will join editorial meetings for assignments with the digital team via Microsoft Teams.
- Making calls, interviewing sources, writing stories and publishing in a CMS (content management system)
- Clipping reporter videos for the website with SEO-friendly and attention-grabbing headlines and descriptions
- Writing and editing original content for digital platforms.
- Crafting social posts for the stations’ branded accounts and/or gathering UGC (user generated content) from social media to use on the website, on-air broadcast, or social accounts
- Experience working with a campus newspaper/website and proficient in AP Style
- Experience working in a content management system, like WordPress
- Bilingual proficiency in Spanish is a big plus — writing and speaking. Interns who can write in Spanish have an opportunity to also write for Telemundo52.com
- Above-average news judgment and what qualifies as a quality news story
- Experience posting for a university publication’s branded social accounts and a working knowledge of social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Wildmoka a plus
- Interns who can write in English and Spanish are desired.
- Reporting and writing for a school news organization’s website
- In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor or Graduate degree at an Accredited Institution and be able to provide documentation to confirm your degree progress.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the U.S. without a visa or sponsorship
- Internships at NBCUniversal are paid and do not require course credit
Please note that the application process above is specifically for digital journalists who are interested in writing and reporting for the website. If you are interested in a broadcast news internship, apply here (it’s the same link to apply for digital internships) but indicate your interest in a news internship, and the specific area in which you wish to work: OTT, Assignment Desk, Sports, Investigative, Politics, and Weekends.