NBC4 Southern California and Telemundo 52 Los Angeles won a combined 13 awards at the 68th Los Angeles Area Emmy Awards presentation held on Saturday, July 23. Both stations were recognized with top honors for outstanding newscasts in a variety of news categories.
NBC4 News at 11PM took home the number one award for “Regularly Scheduled Daily Evening Newscast” and won eight Emmys for breaking news, investigative news, hard news series and education categories – the most wins among all stations competing that evening.
“It’s wonderful to be acknowledged by our peers with so many Emmy’s that included the significant categories of Breaking News, Investigative News and Best Los Angeles Newscast,” said Steve Carlston, NBC4 President and General Manager. “For the past 13 consecutive months, NBC4 has been the late news leader in the market and I’m extremely proud of the news team and staff for its commitment to excellence.”
Telemundo 52’s Noticiero 52 a las 6 AM was recognized with the prestigious award in the category of “Regularly Scheduled Daily Morning Newscast,” and won five Emmys for information public affairs series and live special events news.
“It is an honor to be recognized by the Television Academy for delivering outstanding news programming,” said Celia Chavez, Telemundo 52 President and General Manager. “I am incredibly proud of our news team who works tirelessly to ensure our storytelling reflects the many faces and struggles of the Hispanic community we serve.”
NBC4 also received Emmy Awards in the following categories:
• Outstanding Hard News Reporting: Joel Grover and Matthew Glasser
• Outstanding Sports Reporting: Fred Roggin
• Investigative Reporting/News: LA’s Nuclear Secret
• Education: El Nino Current of Change
• Culture/History: 50 Watts
• Serious News Stories/Multi-Part Report: Classrooms for Rent: LAUSD's Pursuit for Hollywood Dollars
• Live Coverage of an Unscheduled News Event: San Bernardino Shooting
Telemundo 52 also received Emmy Awards in the following categories:
• Information / Public Affairs Series: Enfoque Los Angeles
• Live Special Events News: “Alto a la Violencia Domestica” Community Phone Bank
• Outstanding News Director: Leysser Parada
• Outstanding Videographer – News: Richard Huerta
NBC4 Southern California and Telemundo 52 are a duopoly that strategically collaborate to maximize news gathering and leverage the viewing power of two audiences in two languages. The stations combined reach four of every five households in the DMA.