More and more restaurants, cafes and even 7-11s are jumping on the political bandwagon by running side-by-side McCain and Obama specials to see who's leading who in unofficial drink and/or food polls. Gimmicky? Sure. But it's easier to swallow than the skewed results on FOX.
1) Cookies: Porto's is keeping tally of how many Republican elephant and Democratic donkey cookies are selling during this election season: Dems lead at both the Burbank and Glendale locations. [Atwater Village Newbie]
2) Ice Cream: Scoops' Tai Kim continues to welcome election-inspired flavor suggestions at Flavors for Change until Sunday (Oct. 25), and the best of the flavor pool will be served from Oct. 27-31 with proceeds going to the Obama Victory Fund. Some fun suggestions so far: Budget Crunch Bailout, Bitter White Chocolate Moose, Joe Plum-mer, Baracky Road. [~ELA~]
3) Cocktails: The Avalon hotel's Blue on Blue has been running "Drink the Vote" specials for the last few weeks. The Obamarita has a current standing of 70% against the McCainade's 30%, and the Irish Cup of Joe has 56% against the Pallini's 44%. [~ELA~]
4) Coffee: At 7-11 customers can pick either blue Obama cups or red McCain cups for their java, and Obama is pretty much kicking McCain's butt across the country. Per the the results website, Obama has 60% of the cup vote to McCain's 40%. [via Fast Food Maven]
5) Salads: Someone at Clementine had a little too much downtime to come up with all these names for their Election Night menu. Can't declare a winner until afte election day.[~ELA~]
6) Burgers: Not LA, but for the Top Chef fans: At former cheftestant Spike Mendelsohn's Washington D.C. burger joint Good Stuff Eatery, the Obama burger (bacon, blue cheese, onion marmalade and horseradish mayo) is killing the McCain burger (hipotle mayo, corn and roasted red pepper salsa, jack cheese, lettuce, and tomato) by a landslide. [Mona's Apple]For more stories from Eater LA, go to la.eater.com.