Chief

Chief Beck “Extremely Concerned” Over Possible Excessive Force Incident in South LA

The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating whether excessive force was used on a 22-year-old who was arrested in South LA last week.

Clinton Alford was involved in what the department calls a "use of force incident" on Thursday, Oct. 16, 2014, the LAPD confirmed Friday.

He was arrested near 55th Street and South Avalon Boulevard at 12:20 p.m. that, day but not booked until 2:32 a.m. the next morning, according to LA County jail records.

Alford was allegedly kicked by in the head by a police officer while others held him down during an arrest for drug possession and resisting arrest, according to an LA Times story published Friday. The newspaper said the altercation was captured on a private security camera. 

"I am extremely concerned about this particular use of force," Chief Charlie Beck said in a Friday statement, which did not reveal details about the incident.

The LAPD Force Investigation and Internal Affairs divisions are investigating the incident, along with independent investigators.

"I can assure you that our investigators will investigate every aspect of this incident to determine what transpired that resulted in the use of force last Thursday," said Beck, adding that officers abusing their position aren't welcome in the LAPD.

In February, the LA Police Commission added guidelines for officers using force, clarifying the department's policy to make it clear that officers can consider tactics and prior decision making when deciding to use force.

"The reasonableness of an officer's use of deadly force includes consideration of the officer's tactical conduct and decisions leading up to the use of deadly force," reads the sentence that was added to the LAPD manual.

Contact Us