No Security Near Where Stow Attackers Sat: Dodger Security

The video streaming in the downtown Los Angeles courtroom Wednesday shows a fight at Dodger Stadium during the season opener three years ago, the night visiting Giants fan Bryan Stow was brutally punched, kicked and nearly killed.

But the tape doesn't depict the attack on Stow.

Rather it was an earlier incident inside the stadium, introduced as evidence in the Stow family's lawsuit contending the Dodgers organization failed to provide adequate security.

With Stow suffering permanent brain injury, the suit is seeking upwards of $30 million for his care.

"If the Dodgers did what they were supposed to do, we're not here. That's all there is to it," said Stow attorney Tom Girardi outside the Mosk Courthouse Wednesday on the trial's fifth day of testimony.

Kenneth Delgadillo, the Dodgers assistant security manager who oversaw the loge area of the stadium, watched the 1 minute, 26 second video of the fight in loge section 147 and acknowledged he never saw security respond -- nor did staffers make him aware of the incident later.

Stow attorney David Lira said this fight occurred in the section near section 149, where Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, now convicted of attacking Stow, were sitting.

Stow and his friends were sitting in the pavilion beyond right field, and there is no evidence of any encounter with Sanchez and Norwood until after the game in the parking lot.

Witnesses have testified that from the second inning onward, Sanchez was harrassing other spectators by throwing food and even beverages, and spouting profanities. Asked if such behavior would violate the Stadium's "code of conduct," Delgadillo said yes.

However, to Delgadillo's knowledge, he testified, Sanchez was never appproached by security personnel.

Stow's team had called Delgadillo as a hostile witness. Later, questioned by Dodgers attorney Barry Hassenberg, Delgadillo testified a total of 27 ushers and security personnel were assigned to the loge level on the third base side.

He said he felt adequate precautions were taken.

What happened to Stow was "tragic," Dodgers attorney Dana Fox told jurors during his opening statement, but he said responsibility for what happened lies with the attackers, and in part, with Stow himself.

Also introduced into evidence Wednesday was a recording and transcript of the 911 call placed from the stadium parking lot by Natasha Lagano, whose father saw Stow knocked down to the ground and ran to help.

"I'm in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium and somebody has just been knocked out. He's just lying cold on the floor," began her 911 call.

Her  father Joseph Lagano and mother Mary Donley, also at the game, also testified. All said they had not seen any security personnel in the parking lot until after the daughter called 911. The first reference to security arriving at the location comes 5 minutes and 58 seconds into the recording.

Next week, Stow's team plans to call former owner Frank McCourt, a defendant in the case, and his then-wife Jamie McCourt.

Frank McCourt is expected to testify to steps he took while in charge to improve stadium security.

Contact Us