Los Angeles

Dodgers Fan Claims He Was Beaten During Opening Night

Francisco Rodriguez says that a group of security guards attacked him

The Los Angeles Dodgers are investigating claims Friday that a fan was severely beaten by stadium security on opening day.

Dodger security and Los Angeles Police Department officers were seen in a video captured by a witness holding someone down as they took him into custody at Dodger Stadium Thursday.

Franco Rodriguez of Norco said "there was about 10 of them completely all punching me in my face, throwing blows to the side of my stomach, kicking me."

"They literally beat me with their fists all over my face, back of my neck, used a baton stick on the side of my ribs," he said. "I've got bruises to prove it."

Rodriguez had his injuries photographed after he left a hospital Friday morning.

He said that he wasn't drunk and that it started when he was watching another fan "getting a hard time from security."

Rodriguez said he asked officers what the problem was, and the next thing he knew, he was being escorted out of the stadium.

It was unclear what caused his expulsion from the game.

What also hurts Rodriguez is that he said he's been a die-hard Dodger fan for nearly two decades.

He also said that he spent $15,000 for his family to attend the 2017 World Series. He also said he isn't sure what he wants to do next.

"I'm definitely going to voice my opinion to them and I will hear them out, just like they need to hear me out also," he said.

Police officers responded to what they called "a private person's citizen's arrest," LAPD Officer Tony Im said.

"Security called us and we responded to the location," Im said.

Rodriguez was taken to a hospital for treatment of his injuries and the responding officers took a "crime report, alleging a battery had taken place," Im said.

Rodriguez was named as the suspect, Im said.

"The report will be eventually turned over to the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office which could decide to file a misdemeanor charge against Rodriguez," Im said.

The team issued a statement saying "we are investigating the matter and have no further comment at this time."

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us