Southern California

Father Arrested on Suspicion of 5-Year-Old Son's Murder

The father initially told police he didn't remember what happened to his son

What to Know

  • Aramazd Andressian Sr. faces murder charges in son's death
  • His 5-year-old son had been missing since April
  • The father was initially detained in the disappearance, but was released due to lack of evidence

The father of a 5-year-old boy who has been missing for two months was arrested on suspicion of his murder, officials said.

Aramazd Andressian Sr., 35, was arrested Friday in Las Vegas in the death of his son, Aramazd Andressian Jr., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Daniel Nardoni, the suspect's attorney, was shocked by the arrest. He said his client maintained Thursday that he had no idea where his son is and is adamant he had nothing to do with his disappearance.

The Sheriff's Department gave no details on what evidence they had, details about the boy, or what Andressian was doing in Nevada.

Nicole Nishida, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's department, declined to say what evidence led to Andressian's arrest. A news conference is scheduled for Monday.

Investigators have been searching for Aramazd Jr. since his father was found passed out in a park in South Pasadena on April 22. Sheriff's officials say the father took prescription pills and was in a car doused in gasoline.

The father was initially arrested on suspicion of child endangerment but later released. He once put out a public plea to help find his son. The father's attorney called the disappearance a mystery and has said his client had gaps in his memory.

Searchers have fanned out across several counties to try to find the boy, at least twice narrowing their search around a lake area in Santa Barbara County. Search warrants have been served at the boy's father's home and at the home of the boy's grandmother in Montebello.

Rewards totalling $30,000 have been offered for information leading to the boy's safe return. A prayer vigil was held.

In May the boy's mother, Ana Estevez, joined sheriff's officials to make a public plea for her son's safe return, saying, "I will never stop looking for you."

Robert Kovacik and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Contact Us