Los Angeles

How to Seek Tax Relief After Fire Damages Your Home

Los Angeles County Assessor Jeffrey Prang Friday urged homeowners and owners of other property damaged or destroyed by the wildfires to seek tax relief.

Prang said that by filing a claim for "Misfortune & Calamity'' relief within one year, property owners who have suffered $10,000 or more in damage as a result of the Skirball, Rye, or Creek fires may qualify for a refund of property taxes they recently paid and a lower tax bill moving forward.

"Wildfires have caused major damage and, in some cases, a devastating loss for many residents of Los Angeles County. The destruction of property and homes in particular is having a profound impact on the lives of our friends and neighbors,'' Prang said. "Taxpayers whose properties have been damaged or destroyed by these fires may be eligible for tax relief.''

Prang said his office will work in conjunction with fire department officials to determine which properties are affected.

"My office is ready to offer assistance. As the fires are extinguished and recovery begins, visit us on the web or call our hotline,'' Prang said.

The Assessor's Disaster Relief Hotline number is (213) 974-8658. Visit the website here.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us