Los Angeles Fire Department

Firefighter Injured, Family and Dog Escape Apartment Blaze

Four people and dog escaped uninjured from a blaze that injured one firefighter.

One firefighter was injured in a San Pedro apartment fire Sunday morning that residents said began after someone outside threw some type of object through a window.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to one unit of the four-unit apartment building in the 900 block of 25th Street in San Pedro, a Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman said. Four people and dog escaped uninjured.

Firefighters reported a knockdown in 21 minutes and damage was limited to the original unit. The firefighter was taken to a local hospital in good condition with minor injuries.

Authorities do not know if the unit had functioning smoke alarms.

Residents told investigators that some threw an object, possible a Molotov cocktail, through the window before the fire started. Authorities said they also are not ruling out fireworks as a possible cause.

Contact Us