A man claiming he represents CalFire has been calling residents asking for donations to help people displaced by the Blue Cut Fire, authorities said Wednesday.
The Blue Cut Fire burned 105 homes last week, as it scorched more than 56 square miles in San Bernardino County. Many residents and homeowners were affected by the blaze, and lots of people wanted to help.
However, when the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department received reports of calls claiming to represent CalFire, they confirmed with CalFire that it has not been soliciting for donations, and that they will not call and ask for donations, according to SBSD.
The Sheriff’s Department said it advises against giving personal or banking information on the phone for donations.
Top news of the day
People who have been contacted by anyone asking for donations on CalFire’s behalf, or anyone who made a donation based on one of these phone calls is encouraged to contact their local law enforcement agency to report it.
Anyone with information about the investigation is encouraged to call Deputy H. Hubbard at the Phelan Sheriff’s Station at 760-868-1006.