Los Angeles

Gunman in Temple City Sheriff's Station Shooting ID'd

Andrew Lane reportedly opened fire after learning he would be arrested on an outstanding warrant. He later took his own life in the parking lot.

A man who died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound during a shootout with deputies in the parking lot of the sheriff's Temple Station was identified Wednesday by authorities.

The shooting happened at 7:25 a.m. Monday outside the facility at 8838 Las Tunas Drive where the man, identified by county coroner's officials as 47-year-old Andrew Lane of San Gabriel, went to register as a sex offender, according to the sheriff's department.

No deputies were injured.

According to sheriff's Lt. Joe Mendoza, while the man was in the station, a deputy learned that he was wanted on a $40,000 felony warrant.

"The deputy requested assisting deputies to take the suspect into custody," according to Deputy Kelvin Moody of the Sheriff's Information Bureau. "As the deputies approached, the suspect ran to his vehicle, entered the rear passenger door, and armed himself with a shotgun. At this point a deputy involved shooting occurred."

"The suspect remained barricaded in his vehicle and Special Enforcement Bureau personnel responded to assist with a tactical approach on the vehicle. The suspect was found to have suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound."

Sheriff Jim McDonnell said the suspect fired shots at the deputies from his vehicle.

"There was an exchange of gunfire," McDonnell said. "Multiple rounds were fired, and the area was locked down."

SWAT deputies were summoned to the scene, but by the time they arrived, the shootout was over. They found the suspect dead inside the vehicle.

Deputies recovered a shotgun from the vehicle, and investigators believe the man also was armed with a handgun, sheriff's Capt. Steve Katz said.

"The deputies did engage in a gun battle with the suspect," Katz said. "It appears at this time that the suspect is deceased by way of a self-inflicted gunshot wound."

Investigators have not positively confirmed, however, that the suspect's fatal wound was in fact self-inflicted. Traffic was routed away from the area for several hours while an investigation was conducted.

"We are grateful that no deputies were injured or killed in the Temple Station shooting," said Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs President Ron Hernandez.

"This deliberate attack on a sheriff's substation is another reminder of the dangers deputies face every day in their jobs, where a routine day at work has the potential to turn deadly," Hernandez said.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us