Massachusetts

LA City Council Offers $50K Reward for Info in Palms Man's Fatal Shooting

Police believe the death of Christopher John Paul is unrelated to an earlier spate of shootings in the area.

The Los Angeles City Council announced a $50,000 reward Tuesday for information that would lead to the arrest and conviction of the person behind the death of a Palms resident last week.

"We believe there is somebody out there who knows about this, and we hope this significant reward will bring them out of the woodwork,'' Councilman Paul Koretz said.

Neighbors described Christopher John Paul as a religious man who kept to himself. The 33-year-old was walking home last Wednesday afternoon when someone fatally shot him from behind in an alley in the 3300 block of Mentone Avenue, police said.

The Los Angeles Police Department has found neither witnesses nor motive for Paul's death.

"He was a very innocent man, he went to church — daily Mass at St. Augustine Catholic Church in Culver City,'' Lt. John Radtke said.

While Paul's killing came on the heels of a violent series of suspected gang-related acts in the same area, officials believe the incidents are unrelated.

"The other cases, we have suspects in custody, we have leads,'' Koretz said. "This one was different because it was a completely innocuous gentleman."

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Contact Us