LA Marathon Races Through Sweltering City, Sending Some to the Hospital

More than 26,000 runners and wheelchair racers took to the streets on Sunday for the 30th annual Los Angeles Marathon as record-breaking temperatures beat down on Southern California.

Officials said 185 runners received medical attention and 36 participants were taken to the hospital. One person was in critical condition, officials said.

The first runner crossed the finish line of the 30th Los Angeles Marathon just after 9 a.m., winning his division long before extreme heat was expected to slow runners.

The heat reached 88 degrees in downtown LA at noon, and it apparently took its toll on marathoners. At least 47 people were treated for various ailments and 15 were taken to hospitals in stable condiiton, according to local emergency response agencies.

A 61-year-old man went into cardiac arrest near the 22nd mile of the race, but paramedics immediately treated him and he was revived after being taken to a hospital, the agencies said.

One person near the 17-mile mark was hosing down runners with water.

Daniel Limo of Kenya took 2 hours, 10 minutes and 35 seconds to run the course, according to his unofficial raise time, which stretched from Dodger Stadium to Santa Monica, according to course results. His results translated to a pace under 5 minutes per mile.

Ogla Kimaiyo, also of Kenya, was the first woman runner across the line, with an unofficial time of 2:34:09. Wheelchair athlete Scott Parson was the first person to cross the finish line, which he did in 1:37:13.

Tag your race photos #NBC4You on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram to share them with NBC4!

The race kicked off before 7 a.m. Sunday, with runners experiencing sweltering heat by the time many crossed the finish line in Santa Monica.

Elite women started the race at 6:45 a.m., followed 10 minutes later by the elite men and the main field. Wheelchairs, hand cycles and the legacy runners, who have competed in every race since 1986, led the way.

The "full field" runners -- non-specialized athletes -- were originally scheduled to cross the starting line at 7:25 a.m., but race organizers pushed it up by half an hour, when temperatures would be cooler.

Cooling buses, misting stations, extra drinks andother precuations were also being taken along the race course to make sure heat didn't affect the runners too much.

Los Angeles Police Department officer Kristina Tudor ran the race in full uniform, honoring fallen officers while raising money for the LA Police Memorial Foundation. Her gear weighed about 25 pounds, but her supports are what motivated her to cross the finish line.

“It’s making it go by a lot faster than it normally would so it’s much appreciated,” Tudor said.

Although the weather was not as hot as forecasters predicted, it still had an impact on Sunday’s race.

Click here for street closures
Click here for information on the intense heat expected Sunday

Contact Us