Los Angeles police officer's shooting of an unarmed homeless man last year was unjustified, the Los Angeles Police Commission said Tuesday.
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck made a surprising announcement in January that his officer in this case should be prosecuted by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
It was a judgment bolstered by Tuesday's unanimous finding from the civilian Police Commission that oversees the department.
The news stems from the shooting last May of a homeless man, Brandon Glenn, 29, off the Venice Boardwalk.
Top news of the day
The officer contented Glenn had been involved in a scuffle with his partner and was reaching for the second officer's gun.
According to a report issued Tuesday, the officer who shot Glenn, identified as Clifford Porter told authorities "everything was happening so fast and everybody's hands were flailing around. I don't really know where his hands were but he is still holding on."
But security camera video apparently showed the victim was not in a struggle with an officer and was on the ground attempting to get up when he was shot in the back.
The Police Commission formally agreed with Beck's assessment that the shooting was not justified.
It was a determination that was welcomed by many of those who knew Glenn and who long were suspicious of the shooting.
"It says that police are taking more responsibility for its interaction with the homeless," said Lee Parker, a Venice resident.
Jason Wilson, a Venice Boardwalk entertainer, applauded the decision.
"It's about time that they're finally starting to get some justice," he said.
Police were called out to the scene because of a disturbance Glenn had allegedly created.
The homeless man's family has filed a lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles.