An unidentified odor near downtown's Arts District is being attributed to a chemical leak.
The odor was first reported at 7:37 p.m. at 400 S. Central Ave., said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Initial reports were that there was an ammonia spill. Officials later clarified that there was a chemical leak coming from machinery on a roof.
Local news from across Southern California
An LAFD hazmat team was dispatched to the area and officials secured a valve to stem the leak, Humphrey told City News Service.
A 500-foot exclusion zone was issued in the area, meaning no one was allowed anywhere within the radius, Humphrey said.
"We cleared about a block in either direction and found out that we did actually have a leak from one of the pipe's on the roof, which was plugged," said Greg Gibson of LAFD. "
No cases of illness were confirmed, and no one was taken to a hospital, Humphrey told CNS.
Correction: An earlier version of this story erroneously reported there were evacuations in the area. An exclusion zone was issued; not an evacuation. The story has been updated.