Captain

98-Year-Old Bedridden Woman, Dog Rescued in Buena Park House Fire

The woman was critically injured in a house fire triggered by a cooking accident, authorities said.

A bedridden 98-year-old woman was critically injured and a dog was resuscitated in a house fire in Buena Park Friday triggered by a cooking accident, authorities said.

Five adults and two children were displaced by the blaze in the 7600 block of Granada Drive, which was reported about 4:15 p.m., according to Capt. William Lackey of the Orange County Fire Authority.

Twenty firefighters put out the fire in about 15 minutes, Lackey said. The blaze was caused by cooking food that was unattended, Lackey said.

A passerby phoned authorities to report smoke coming from a single- family house, but the caller gave a vague location and it took firefighters "a few additional minutes'' to locate the home, Lackey said.

"During their firefighting effort they discovered a 98-year-old female in an upstairs bedroom,'' Lackey said.

The woman, who was in critical condition, was initially taken to St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton before being transferred to UCI Medical Center in Orange, Lackey said.

Firefighters also rescued and resuscitated a dog that will be fine, he said.

The fire caused about $100,000 in damage to the home and another $25,000 to the possessions in it, according to the OCFA. The fire did not spread outside the property, Lackey said.

Copyright City News Service

Contact Us