One Person Arrested in Connection With Bus Attacks - NBC Southern California

One Person Arrested in Connection With Bus Attacks



    A man wanted in a string of violent attacks on MTA bus passengers in recent days was captured in a Huntington Park gas station Friday morning by deputies moments after his latest attack. Lolita Lopez reports from Huntington Park for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on Friday, June 27, 2014. (Published Friday, June 27, 2014)

    One person was arrested in Maywood in connection with a series of stabbings on Metro buses throughout Los Angeles County, including two attacks Friday morning, officials said.

    In the eight attacks this month, the victim's have been stabbed in the neck with a screwdriver. All of the victims were men and walked away with non life-threatening injuries.

    "We believe it is the same suspect," said Ramon Montenegro, of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. "We are trying to confirm that.

    Man Detained in Connection With Metro Bus Attacks

    [LA] Man Detained in Connection With Metro Bus Attacks
    Authorities placed a man in custody Friday after a string of attacks on Metro buses throughout Los Angeles County. Authorities believe the man arrested is responsible for all the stabbings. Gordon Tokumatsu reports live from downtown Los Angeles for the NBC4 News at Noon on Friday, June 27, 2014.
    (Published Friday, June 27, 2014)

    "It's almost like he’s doing it just to do it."

    Authorities identified the person in custody as 24-year-old Hector Resendez.

    The most recent attack occurred just before 11 a.m. near Slauson Avenue and Atlantic Boulevard in Maywood. Authorities arrested Resendez approximately two miles away at a USA Gas Station.

    He was actually walking on the street we had him in view from the last stabbing that did occur, walked up to him and took him into custody without incident.

    A large law enforcement presence could be seen at Pacific Boulevard and Slauson Avenue just before noon.

    USA Gas Station attendant Rossy Felix said that Resendez had come to the store multiple times before and that he appeared very calm.  

    "When he came in and I said 'good morning, hi, how may I help you,' (he said) 'i want a gum,'" Felix said. "So he grab it, I scan it and that's it."

    Commander Ro Anda said the suspect was taken into custody without incident.

    "This is a very, very rare incident," Anda said.

    Resendez was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and may face additional charges as the investigation continues. 

    Most of the previous assaults occurred between June 16 and Tuesday June 24. Another assault occurred early Friday morning on a different bus at Avenue 26 and Figueroa Street, several miles away from the Maywood incident.

    NBC4's Jason KandelSamia Khan and Lolita Lopez contributed to this report.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts