Suspect in Bryan Stow Attack Referred to "That Dodger Stadium Thing" - NBC Southern California

Ongoing coverage of Bryan Stow attack and the lawsuit filed by the family

Suspect in Bryan Stow Attack Referred to "That Dodger Stadium Thing"

A preliminary hearing began Wednesday for the two suspects accused of attacking a San Francisco Giants fan after the 2011 Opening Day game



    Stow Suspect Audio: "I Was Involved"

    A preliminary hearing began Wednesday, May 30, to determine if the two men accused of beating Giants Fan Bryan Stow outside Dodger Stadium in 2011 should stand trial. In a recording played at the hearing, suspect Marvin Norwood can be heard talking on a cell phone to his mother during a police interview. "I got arrested for that Dodger Stadium thing," Norwood says, in part. Patrick Healy reports from Downtown LA for the NBC4 News at 4:30 p.m. on May 30, 2012. (Published Wednesday, May 30, 2012)

    A preliminary hearing for two men accused of attacking Giants baseball fan Bryan Stow last year outside Dodger Stadium began Wednesday morning with a recording from a police inteview with one of the suspects.

    Bryan Stow Case: Timeline, Court Documents

    About four days of testimony are expected to determine whether there is enough evidence for suspects Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood to stand trial for the March 31, 2011 assault.

    The hearing started at about 11 a.m. when the prosecution presented an audio recording of one of the accused admitting he was involved in what he called "that Dodger Stadium thing." The July 21 statement by Marvin Norwood occurred during a police interview.

    "I got arrested for that Dodger Stadium thing," Norwood can be heard telling his mother during a phone call.

    Los Angeles police Detective Howard Jackson testified that he interviewed Norwood for about three hours in July  2011 and allowed him to make the phone call. Norwood can be heard explaining that the arrest is not something he can talk about on the phone.

    On cross examination, the detective said during the interview that Norwood claimed he and Sanchez were attacked by Giants fans.

    Stow, a paramedic from the Bay Area and father of two, is still being treated for his injuries.

    "Bryan still doesn't understand or realize what has happened. When he  expresses frustration or seems sad or confused, we just remind him of how far  he has come and how strong he is,'' according to a post on the Stow family's web site.

    Sanchez, 30, and Norwood, 31, are charged with mayhem, assault by means  likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury,  along with the allegation that the two inflicted great bodily injury on the 43-year-old Stow. Sanchez also is charged with two  misdemeanor counts of battery involving another alleged run-in with a man and a  woman the same day.

    Both men, arrested in July, are charged in federal court with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

    Witnesses who testified on Wednesday described Sanchez as belligerently rude and looking to pick a fight.

    "He was throwing peanuts, yelling obscenities at the couple in the Giants shirts," witness Shiela Christensen said.

    "After the last pitch in the ninth inning, we were seated and we felt liquid landing over us," witness Griffith McDaniel said. "We turned around and the gentleman in the sunglasses was spraying Coca Cola on us."

    McDaniel identified Sanchez as the man in the sunglasses.

    The attack on Stow occurred as he walked with a group of friends from the 2011 Opening Day game at Dodger Stadium. Sanchez and Norwood confronted the group in the parking lot, but Stow and his friends walked away, according to prosecutors.

    The two suspects followed the group, then punched Stow in the side of the head before kicking him after he dropped to the ground, according to court documents.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts