Car Slams Into Canoga Park Target Store - NBC Southern California

Car Slams Into Canoga Park Target Store



    Three people were injured - one critically - when an elderly woman crashed through a Target store in Canoga Park. Kim Baldonado reports for the NBC4 News at 11 p.m. on Oct. 26, 2012. (Published Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012)

    A 70-year-old woman slammed her car into a Canoga Park Target store on Friday, injuring herself and two other adults, one critically, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

    The woman reportedly drove her dark-colored car down a parking structure ramp and through closed metal double doors on the side of the building before stopping about 50 feet inside the department store.

    "They never saw the vehicle coming," said Capt. Jaime Moore, a Fire Department spokesman.

    There were no skid marks leading up to the double doors, suggesting the driver did not apply the brakes before she barreled into the building.

    The crash happened at 5:30 p.m. at a Target in the 6600 block of north Owensmouth Avenue in the Westfield Topanga mall.

    Three people were taken to three hospitals. A 56-year-old man suffered a hip injury and a 29-year-old woman suffered head trauma.

    The driver suffered moderate injuries and was released from the hospital Friday night, according to her son.

    Howard Raishbrook was about a block away from the store when he noticed a line of emergency vehicles speeding toward the site. A handicapped placard could be seen inside her car, but investigators say it's too early to determine whether the driver was impaired.

    "I saw a lot of ambulances, fire trucks, LAPD going through, so my curiosity got the better of me," he said. "I wandered over to take a look. It’s pretty outstanding."

    When he arrived, Raishbrook said he saw three people on the floor being tended to by paramedics.

    Twitter user @AnitaRocks213 posted a photo of what she claims is the car that slammed through the store (pictured at right).

    Raishbrook guessed the car had about a foot of clearance on either side when it came through the double doors. The building did not appear to be damaged, according to aerial footage.

    About half a dozen fire trucks and some 30 personnel responded to the scene, said Erik Scott, a Fire Department spokesman.