FBI Delays LAX Luggage Return After Shooting - NBC Southern California

Coverage of a fatal shooting at Los Angeles International Airport

FBI Delays LAX Luggage Return After Shooting



    FBI Delays LAX Luggage Return After Shooting
    Getty Images
    LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 01: People wait inside Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) after a shooting inside Terminal 3 at LAX November 1, 2013 in Los Angeles, California. A man identified as Paul Ciancia reportedly pulled out an assault rifle in Terminal 3 of the airport and shot his way through security, killing one Transportation Security Administration (TSA) worker and wounding several others before being shot himself. (Photo by Mark Davis/Getty Images)

    Those who left luggage or other items behind at Los Angeles International Airport's Terminal 3 will have to wait until the FBI completes its investigation of Friday's shooting by a lone gunman who killed a security agent and wounded two other people, airport officials said Saturday morning.

    Officials had earlier said the items could be picked up beginning at 7 a.m. today.

    No time frame has been made available as to when the bureau will complete its investigation of the shooting, which happened at 9:20 a.m. Friday.

    On Saturday morning, the ticketing area of Terminal 3 was open, but the rest of terminal was closed, an official said. But passengers are advised to check with their airline for updated flight information.

    Passengers who were unable to reclaim personal belongings with medical supplies and prescription in the bags should contact LAX's on-airport medical clinic at 310-215-6020.

    Meanwhile, the American Red Cross remains at the airport to provide cots and other provisions to displace passengers who have chosen to remain at an undisclosed location in the airport, LAX officials said.

    Members of the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health are also remaining at the airport to offer assistance to passengers and airport employees who may be experiencing emotional distress.

    The county health officials can be reached at 800-854-7771.

    It remains unclear why Paul Anthony Ciancia, 23, entered Terminal 3 Friday morning, pulled an assault rifle from a bag and opened fire.

    Transportation Safety Administration official Gerardo I. Hernandez of Porter Ranch, was killed. At least one other agent was injured, authorities said.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts