A man charged with murdering eight people at a Seal Beach hair salon on Oct. 12 has been sued by the family of one of his alleged victims -- his ex-wife.
Parents of stylist Michelle Fournier filed the civil lawsuit against Scott Dekkraai in Orange County Superior Court Friday on behalf of their daughter and 8-year-old grandson.
Fournier and her ex-husband had been feuding over custody prior to Dekraai’s alleged shooting rampage, which left eight people dead at Salon Meritage.
The suit seeks unspecified damages from the boy’s father. Plaintiff’s attorney Eric Traut told the Associated Press the suit aims to obtain funds to help pay for the child’s education.
Fournier, who was 41 years old at the time of the shooting, was buried in Los Alamitos on Oct. 24.
"She was a fabulous person and a great friend," Wendy Seele told NBC 4 News. "She loved life and loved her kids. It's a very sad day. She's going to be missed."
That same day, a judge in Santa Ana appointed Dekraai with a public defender for his criminal trial.
Dekraai, who has been charged with eight counts of murder and one count of attempted murder, could face the death penalty if convicted. He is scheduled to be arraigned Nov. 29 in Orange County Superior Court.