MMA fighter Jason "Mayhem" Miller pleaded not guilty Monday to resisting arrest and obstructing a police officer during a three-hour SWAT standoff at his Mission Viejo home earlier this month, according to court records.
The standoff began when police tried to take Miller into custody on Oct. 9. Authorities were serving an arrest warrant was issued for Miller after he failed to appear in court for a case related to domestic violence and stalking charges.
When police arrived, Miller ran back into his house and refused to come out.
During the incident, Miller live-tweeted from inside the home and invited people to his address to watch "the drama unfold."
Miller did not surrender until SWAT officers placed a device on his door that blew off the locks.
Miller defended himself on Twitter during the standoff, writing "I have not committed any crime, but yet i am forced HERE."
Miller's attorney, Joseph H. Low IV, told City News Service the raid was an unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars.
"Jason had been under the care of a doctor for an illness," Low said. "He has been waiting for me to come back to town so that we could go back to court to continue to prove his innocence. I wish the police had informed me of their raid. We could have saved the taxpayers a lot of money. There was no reason at all for them to get all dressed up in their SWAT costumes."
The MMA fighter is due back in court Dec. 1.