Amazon dominates in online sales with more than 75 percent of US online consumer shopping on Amazon the majority of the time, according to CNBC. However, Amazon is not secure 100 percent of the time with more than 2 million third-party sellers.
The third-party sellers are not held to the same standards as original sellers.
Here are some tips and tricks to avoid getting ripped off:
- If a seller is making you pay with a gift card, don’t do it. Amazon’s guarantee does not cover purchases made with an Amazon gift card
- Amazon’s guarantee also does not cover giving your card information directly to Amazon third-party vendors, so don’t give it out
- Never send money to a seller outside of the Amazon website or app. So don’t Venmo or Paypal anyone
- The only safe way to buy something through an Amazon seller is to pay through Amazon Pay
- Amazon Pay is the only way you can work directly with Amazon to get a full refund in case something goes wrong