A police officer died Monday after crashing a motorcycle on the eastbound Glenn Anderson Freeway in Lynwood, authorities said.
Sgt. Leonard Luna, a 10-year veteran of the Hawthorne Police Department, crashed while he was on his way to pick up his service motorcycle from a repair shop in Long Beach, according to Lt. Scott Swain, a spokesman for the Hawthorne Police Department.
The crash occurred shortly before 5 p.m., just west of Long Beach Boulevard. Aerial footage showed the freeway backed up for miles as authorities investigated the crash.
Luna was 42 years old, unmarried with no children. He is survived by his mother, father and brother, Swain said.
More Southern California Stories:
- SoCal Church Mourns Asiana Crash Victims
- SF Fire Probes Whether Truck Ran Over Asiana Victim
- Flight Attendants Train For Emergencies
- Paraplegic Finishes Cross-Country Wheelchair Trek in 99 Days
- Same-Sex Couple Hopes to Take Wedding Viral
- Paraplegic Journeys Across Country in Wheelchair
- Teacher Charged With 41 Counts of Sex With Students