Carjacker's 90-MPH Getaway Brought to Stop When OnStar Disables Truck - NBC Southern California

Carjacker's 90-MPH Getaway Brought to Stop When OnStar Disables Truck

A man was arrested after OnStar disabled the truck he is suspected of stealing east of Los Angeles



    Man Recounts Fighting Carjacker

    A 74-year-old man recounts fighting back when a carjacker first approached him to steal his pickup truck. The truck was eventually stopped in its tracks by an OnStar system. Jane Yamamoto reports for the NBC4 News at 6 p.m. on Sunday, June 28, 2015. (Published Sunday, June 28, 2015)

    A stolen truck was recovered and a man was arrested after an OnStar system disabled the vehicle during a carjacking east of Los Angeles Saturday night, authorities said.

    The man was arrested on suspicion of carjacking after he allegedly pulled 74-year-old Deno Borghi out of his Chevy Silverado, knocked Borghi to the ground and stomped on his head near the 500 block of West Arrow Highway in San Dimas. The victim fought back, but the suspect drove off in the truck.

    "I fought him as long as I could, as hard as I could," said Borghi, the co-owner of a Covina construction company. "I don’t know if I got any good licks in – I certainly tried."

    OnStar was activated in the truck and deputies followed it onto the southbound 57 Freeway for an eight-minute pursuit, during which the driver reach speeds around 90 mph. OnStar disabled the vehicle, slowing it down to 5 mph.

    The system can use GPS to pinpoint a vehicle when it is reported stolen. An OnStar adviser can then send a signal that slows the vehicle and prevents it from restarting.

    Deputies said the thief exited the disabled truck on his own, complied with orders and was taken into custody. He was identified as 26-year-old Joshua Frontino-Deaton.

    Borghi was taken to a hospital to be treated for minor injuries. No one was injured in the pursuit and no collisions occurred.

    "The next time I would probably hand the gentleman my keys and say, 'Have at it,' and call OnStar and I'd have my vehicle back and I wouldn't be all beat up," said Borghi, who suffered bruises and cuts.

    Witnesses Steve Nutt and his friend, Al Moncada, stepped in to help when they realized that Borghi was being carjacked. Nutt took off after the carjacker while Moncada stayed with the injured man.

    "He has a lot of heart," Moncada said about Borghi. "That man is a strong man."

    Frontino-Deaton was being held on $100,000 bail.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts