Gruesome Details of Stow Attack Revealed - NBC Southern California

Ongoing coverage of Bryan Stow attack and the lawsuit filed by the family

Gruesome Details of Stow Attack Revealed



    5 Must-See Holiday Light Displays in LA
    Bryan Stow, seen here with his son Tyler, was attacked March 31 in Los Angeles following a Giants-Dodgers game.

    The felony complaint against the two men accused of attacking Bryan Stow reveals some shocking new details about just how vicious the attack on the Giants fan was, following Opening Day outside Dodger Stadium.

    Special Section: The Bryan Stow Case | Felony Complaint

    The first paragraph of the complaint claims the suspected attackers, Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, allegedly disfigured Stow by cutting his tongue and slitting his nose, lip and ear. The complaint also says they "put out an eye."

    Sandi Gibbons, public information officer for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, said the mayhem charge included in the felony criminal complaint alleges the victim suffered "very serious injuries."

    "Mr. Stow did not lose and eye, and he did not lose his tongue," Gibbons said Monday when asked to clarify the allegations in the complaint.

    The attack on Stow was considered vicious prior to the complaint's release, but the details revealed in the document paint an even worse picture.

    It was not widely known outside Stow's immediately family that he was disfigured during the attack, including injuries involving his eye, face and tongue.

    It wasn't widely known a knife was also used in the attack. What was known is that Stow was the victim of a beating that caused him to fall and hit his head hard enough to cause brain damage.

    Police and witnesses said Stow was attacked solely because he was wearing Giants' apparel while his attackers and the female getaway driver were wearing Dodgers' gear. 

    The two men police say carried out the attack had their first court appearance Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court.

    Sanchez, 29, and Norwood, 30, were charged Friday with mayhem, assault and battery in the attack. They were arrested Thursday and held in lieu of $500,000 bail.

    Sanchez faces a maximum of nine years in prison, while Norwood faces up to eight years behind bars, according to prosecutors.

    Correction: A previous version of this article indicated Bryan Stow's eye was removed during the attack. According to the felony complaint, Stow's attackers "put out an eye." A spokeswoman for the Los Angeles District Attorney's office clarified Monday that Stow did not lose an eye.