Student Accepts Plea Deal in Fontana Hazing Case - NBC Southern California

Student Accepts Plea Deal in Fontana Hazing Case

Fernando Salgado, 18, expected to testify against teacher, says DA

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Teen Takes Plea Deal in Fontana Hazing Case

    Fernando Salgado, 18, negotiated a plea deal in which he pleaded guilty to one count each of sexual penetration with a foreign object and assault with a deadly weapon in exchange for a stayed sentence if he truthfully testifies against his teacher, officials say. The pair is under investigation for an alleged hazing scandal at A.B. Miller High School. Jacob Rascon reports from Fontana for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on July 16, 2012. (Published Monday, July 16, 2012)

    A Fontana teenager accused of attempted sexual penetration by a foreign object has accepted a plea agreement and is expected to testify against his teacher in an alleged hazing scandal, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office.

    During a summer school masonry class at A.B. Miller High School, 18-year-old Fernando Salgado allegedly tried to force a piece of rebar into another student's anus, according to prosecutors. A similar incident allegedly involved a broom handle.

    Outside the courthouse Monday afternoon, Salgado explained why he accepted the deal.

    "I had people – a cop told me in the morning – people trying to kill me, that’s why I signed this," he said.

    Fontana Teacher Pleads Not Guilty in Hazing, Feels Blessed by Support

    [LA] Fontana Teacher Pleads Not Guilty in Hazing, Feels Blessed by Support
    A.B. Miller High School teacher Emmanuel De La Rosa pleaded not guilty to charges related to alleged hazing incidents in his classroom. At his Thursday arraignment hearing, he said he felt blessed by support from family and current and former students. Toni Guinyard reports for the NBC4 News at Noon on July 12, 2012.
    (Published Thursday, July 12, 2012)

    Salgado; his teacher, 27-year-old Emmanuel De La Rosa; and three underage students whose names were not released, were arrested in late June.

    Earlier in the day Monday, Salgado signed a plea agreement, according to Christopher Lee of the DA's office.

    "Today, Mr. Salgado signed a plea agreement in which he pleaded guilty to one count of attempted sexual penetration by a foreign object and one count of assault with a deadly weapon," wrote Lee in an email to NBC4.

    Mother of Teenage Hazing Suspect: "I'm Fearful for Him"

    [LA] Mother of Teenage Hazing Suspect: "I'm Fearful for Him"
    Lori Salgado attended her son's court appearance for the first time Monday, when his bail was reduced from $300,000 to $200,000. Fernando Salgado, 18, is accused of alleged hazing cases at A.B. Miller High School. She spoke exclusively to NBC4 about how she cannot make her son's bond and what school officials have been telling her. Jacob Rascon reports from Fontana for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on July 9, 2012.
    (Published Monday, July 9, 2012)

    Salgado faces up to four years in prison; however the sentence will be "stayed as long as he testifies truthfully against Mr. De La Rosa," wrote Lee.

    Pending his testimony, Salgado will then withdraw his plea on the attempted sexual penetration, leaving the assault charge.

    "At this point, he would be placed on three years felony probation and do 180 days county jail on weekends," wrote Lee.

    Teenaged Hazing Suspect Lashes Out in Court

    [LA] Teenaged Hazing Suspect Lashes Out in Court
    Fernando Salgado broke down and had to be restrained after he was ordered to stay in jail until a July 9 bail hearing in connection with a hazing incident at AB Miller High School. The 18-year-old pleaded not guilty to charges including assault and child cruelty. Craig Fiegener reports from San Bernardino for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on June 28, 2012.
    (Published Thursday, June 28, 2012)

    Salgado was released from jail Monday evening.

    "I just want to say thank you to all them that support me, that’s basically it, because I have a lot. I got letters from people I don’t even know, that’s basically it. I just want to say thank you. That’s all I got to say," he said outside the courtroom.

    De La Rosa, who remains in jail, was charged with one felony count of child abuse, two felony counts of attempted sexual penetration with a foreign object, two felony counts of false imprisonment by violence, and a misdemeanor count for failure to report suspected child abuse.

    Prosecutors would not comment on the case against the three underage students.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts