A flaming semitrailer that caught fire on the northbound 101 Freeway near the Hollywood Hills and leaked diesel fuel into nearby drains briefly snarled traffic during Wednesday morning rush hour on the Cahuenga Pass.
The big rig caught fire at the Pilgrimage Bridge between Cahuenga Boulevard East and Cahuenga Boulevard West about 1 a.m., according to the California Highway Patrol.
All northbound lanes reopened by 6:40 a.m., but the Highland Avenue/Cahuenga East onramp remained closed.
A hazmat team was called to the wreck after 15 gallons of diesel fuel leaked into drains, officials said.
Local news from across Southern California
Earlier reports from CHP indicated that 215 gallons of fuel spilled onto the roadway, but officials later said only the 15 gallons of diesel fuel spilled, and 200 gallons of water were used to clean up the spill.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
More Southern California Stories:
- Police Shoot, Wound Child Molestation Suspect
- Family Sees Peace of Mind in Health Care Reform
- 8-Year-Old's Report Chides PCH Dangers
- New Details in College Student's Disappearance
- LA, SF Buy Third of All U.S. Electric Cars
- Resolution Allows Angels to Drop "Of Anaheim"
- 3 Hurt in Ammonia Spill at Cheese Factory
- Witnesses: Driver Ran Red Light Before Hit-and-Run