Testimony Turns to Events in Parking Lot at Bryan Stow Assault Suspects' Prelim

Marvin Norwood and Louie Sanchez are charged in the attack on Giants fan Bryan Stow outside Dodger Stadium

A preliminary hearing to determine whether two men will stand trial for the attack on a San Francisco Giants fan in the  parking lot of Dodger Stadium on opening day last year entered a second day Thursday with testimony from a woman who said she saw two men running toward a parked car.

Twitter Updates: @PatrickNBCLA | Bryan Stow Case: Timeline, Court Documents

Louie Sanchez, 30, and Marvin Norwood, 31, both of Rialto, are charged in the March 31, 2011, beating of Bryan Stow, a father of two who was wearing a Giants jersey when he was confronted after the opening day game.

Stow suffered head  trauma when he was attacked while walking with friends in the baseball  stadium's parking lot after the Dodgers' win over the Giants.

A witness who attended the game described two Dodgers fans who pushed and punched a teenager and shouted obscenties at other fans. When asked how the Giants fans reacted to their taunts, she testified, "'We don't want no trouble.'"

She told the court she later saw the men running toward a car and yelling, "Drive, drive, drive."

The witness was never asked to identify the two men.

On the first day of the preliminary hearing Wednesday, a police interview with one of the accused was played in court. Norwood called his mother after his arrest and told her he  was involved "in that Dodger Stadium thing,'' according to testimony.

The prosecution's first witness, Los Angeles police Detective Howard  Jackson, testified that he interviewed Norwood for about three hours in July  2011 and allowed him to make a phone call. The prosecution played a videotape  of the call in which Norwood could be heard telling his mother, "I got  arrested for that Dodger Stadium thing.''

Norwood told his mother that he could not talk much about the matter over the phone.

"I was involved ... To a certain extent, I was,'' he said.

On cross-examination, the Jackson said  Norwood told investigators several times that he did not think he was involved  in the same altercation as the one that critically injured Stow. Norwood also  claimed Sanchez was attacked after pursuing Giants fans into the parking lot,  the detective said.

Norwood and Sanchez were arrested last July. The hearing before Los  Angeles Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli is expected to last as long as  four days.

Sanchez and Norwood are charged with one felony count each of mayhem,  assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious  bodily injury, along with the allegation that the two inflicted great bodily  injury on Stow.

Prosecutors contended in court papers filed last summer that the men  initially shoved Stow, followed him after he and his friends walked away,  punched him in the side of the head and then kicked him in the head after  knocking him unconscious. A Bay Area paramedic now unable to work, Stow is  still being treated for his injuries.

Sanchez also is charged with a misdemeanor count of battery involving a  run-in with a female Giants fan and a misdemeanor battery count for allegedly  swinging his fist at a young man in a group of Giants fans in the parking lot  after the game.  Along with the charges in state court, Sanchez and Norwood are charged in  federal court with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us