Prosecutors on Tuesday are expected to review charges against a man accused of driving his car into a crowd of people in Venice Beach, killing one and injuring 16 others, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said on Monday.
Nathan Louis Campbell, 38, who the LAPD described as a homeless man from Colorado with a criminal history, was being held with bail set at $1 million.
Local news from across Southern California
Police booked Campbell into custody on a murder charge after he surrendered to police in the Saturday crash at the Venice boardwalk. The crash killed an Italian woman on her honeymoon and injured 16 others, including the woman's husband.
LAPD detectives will hand over their case to prosecutors by Tuesday for filing consideration, said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Meanwhile, new details emerged about Campbell's past. He bought the Dodge Avenger at a Kia dealership in Littleton, Colo., earlier this summer. He had only been in Los Angeles for about a month before the crash.
Campbell pleaded guilty to public drunkenness in Santa Monica in 2002, and reckless driving with alcohol in Florida in 2008.
And on Saturday, Campbell is accused of driving around a vehicle barrier and intentionally running over pedestrians with his Dodge Avenger as hundreds of people were sitting at cafes and shopping at the popular tourist destination. The crash could be seen through surveillance video captured from nearby businesses.
The suspect knocked over two mannequins, an ATM and then hit people as the car swerved.
Video showed the car struck at least three vendors -- a fortune teller, a couple selling jewelry and a tattoo artist.
Many people ran after the car, screaming and cursing as it sped away.
The driver eventually turned up a side street and headed away from the ocean. The car was later found abandoned less than 2 miles away, police said.
An autopsy conducted Monday on the body of Alice Gruppioni, indicates that the 32-year-old died from blunt force trauma to the head and neck, according to the Los Angeles County coroner's office.
The case was ruled a homicide.
CLARIFICATION: A Los Angeles Police Department official on Monday told NBC4 that 16 people were hurt and one person was killed -- making 17 total victims, two of whom refused treatment -- in the Venice boardwalk crash. Los Angeles police updated their earlier reports that there were 12 victims total.
More Southern California Stories:
- Powerball Jackpot Jumps to $400M
- Caught on Video: Supermarket Wall Collapses in Fire
- 8-Year-Old Dies After Drowning in Washer
- Newlywed "Robbed of Her Life" in Boardwalk Crash
- Poison Oak Rash Strands Hikers
- French Cheese Recalled Due to Deadly Bacteria
- Venice Crash Prompts Calls for More Barriers
- Boardwalk Crash Victims Thankful to Be Alive