A Southern California family is grateful just to be alive after their Christmas tree caught fire and burned their home to the ground.
Neighbors on Tuesday gathered to help the Alvarados, a family of seven who lost everything they owned when a spark from their light-wrapped Christmas tree caught fire and destroyed their Hemet mobile home.
"We are thankful to have each other here," Yadira Alvarado, 16, told NBC4. "We’re all thankful we came out alive."
Friends of the family collected gifts for the children and donations for the family to stay at a hotel.
"It's Christmastime. I feel sad they have five kids and they don't have cars, they don't have anything," neighbor Shawn Mullenix said.
The fire broke out about 10 p.m. Dec. 20 in the Santa Rosa Mobile Home Park while some of the family members were sleeping, the Riverside Press-Enterprise reported.
Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.
"Our tree was drying up and the lights were on all day," Yadira said.
The family lost two cars, Christmas gifts and everything else inside the home except the clothing on their backs and a few photos.
"The fire spread quickly, and we were lucky to get out," Yadira said.
The Hemet Fire Department donated $500 in gift cards to Kmart and Sears for the family to recover and cautioned others on how to prevent this kind of tragedy.
"Make sure your trees are watered and make sure to dispose of them as soon after Christmas as possible," Hemet Fire Capt. Steve Sandefer told the news outlet. "The drier they get, the more dangerous they are."
This holiday season, the Alvarados are without a home, but they are not without hope.
"(We are) grateful we have each other," Yadira said. "Because if we lost each other, we'd be completely devastated."