Jay Cicinelli on Friday became the third Fullerton police officer involved in last year’s fatal beating of a mentally ill homeless man to end his employment with the city, officials said.
“The employment status of Corporal Jay Cicinelli ended with the City of Fullerton, effective July 20, 2012,” Sgt. Jeff Stuart said in a statement released Friday.
In May, Cicinelli and former Fullerton police officer Manuel Ramos were ordered to stand trial in the death of Kelly Thomas, a 37-year-old schizophrenic man who died days after an altercation with six Fullerton police officers at a bus depot.
Local news from across Southern California
Cicinelli was charged with involuntary manslaughter and excessive use of force in Thomas’ death. Prior to Friday’s announcement, Cicinelli had been on unpaid leave.
Kelly Thomas Case: Timeline, Photos
Ramos was charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. His 10-year career in law enforcement ended July 3.
Officer Joe Wolfe's 13-year career with the Fullerton police department ended on July 16, Fullerton Cpl. Tim Kandler said in a statement at the time.
The other three officers involved in the incident remain on paid administrative leave, Stuart said, adding that officials will not discuss any proposed discipline or the findings of an internal investigation.
Ramos faces a potential sentence of 15 years to life if convicted of second-degree murder but only four years if convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Cicinelli faces a maximum sentence of four years in prison.
Friday’s announcement brings the total number of city officials who have lost their municipal jobs in connection with the Thomas beating to six.
Three councilmen were overwhelmingly recalled in June, spearheaded by Fullerton residents who cited a lack of transparency and leadership in the wake of Thomas’ death.