Gunman Dies in Standoff With LAPD in South Los Angeles

One LAPD officer was shot in the face in the moments before the standoff.

A standoff between police and a suspected gunman who shot and wounded two officers at a home in Willowbrook ended Wednesday morning with his death.

Police said the subject in the standoff sustained injuries, but it was unclear whether he had been shot.

“There was evidence of blood,” LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman said.

At about 6:40 a.m., what appeared to be tear gas was inserted into the house. An armored vehicle was in the front yard of the property as the standoff entered its 12th hour.

The operation comes after Los Angeles County probation and LAPD gang unit officers went to do a probation check Tuesday night at a home in the 2200 block of East 117th Street (map), said LAPD Officer Gus Villanueva.

Officers believed they had cleared the home of its occupants. During a search of the house, an LAPD officer looked into the attic and was shot in the face, Villanueva said.

The wounded officer was in unknown condition at St. Francis Medical Center, although the injuries were considered non-life threatening.

The  county probation officer suffered a graze wound to his leg and was treated at the scene, according to the LAPD.

“This is a good reminder this is a very dangerous profession that we're part of,“ Neiman said. “Our officers hopefully will take this as a reminder to always be aware of their surroundings and every situation could be a dangerous one.”

Authorities shut down eastbound lanes of the 105 Freeway at Wilmington Avenue during the operation, backing up traffic for miles. Lanes remained blocked early Wednesday for police activity.

It was unclear whether the shooting was related to the earlier "ambush" shooting of two LAPD detectives earlier in the day. A gunman opened fire on the detectives as they arrived in their vehicle at the LAPD Wilshire Community Police Station. 

Both officers suffered minor injuries and returned to the command post Tuesday morning to assist in the search for the gunman, which continued Wednesday morning.

The attack, called by LAPD Chief Charlie Beck "attempted assassination," prompted a manhunt that resulted in the detention and questioning of 11 men, but did not yield any arrests.

Refresh this page for updates.

View Larger Map

Contact Us