Two passengers tried to smuggle 100 pounds of marijuana -- disguised as birthday presents -- through Los Angeles International Airport Wednesday, officials said.
Shortly after 5 a.m., TSA officers at Terminal 1 screened the four suit cases and found they were stuffed with marijuana, said Nico Melendez, TSA spokesman.
The pot was bundled in green cellophane then wrapped again in cupcake-covered wrapping paper, pictured below, Melendez said.
Two passengers tried to check the bags and were scheduled to depart Los Angeles to Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
The passengers did not board their flight to Atlanta and have not been found, Melendez said.
The pot has a street value of about $300,000, airport officials said.
More Southern California Stories:
- OC Student Killed on SF Train
- Bomb Squad Investigation Over at LAX Terminal
- Free Films at the Edge of the Ocean
- Wanted Serial Rapist Is "Capable of Great Violence"
- Lakers Not Rushing to Re-Sign Kobe Bryant
- Ryu, Puig, Kemp Power Dodgers Past SF
- Madre Fire Containment Expected Friday
- One Dead After Gunbattle, Chase Into Park