MAINTENANCE WORKER

Man Allegedly Run Over on Beach Sues City, Worker

A complaint filed with the Los Angeles Superior Court shows he seeks more than $25,000 in damages after broken pelvis, other injuries

A man in Long Beach who was allegedly run over by a city maintenance worker's pickup truck while he was sleeping on the beach earlier this year is suing the city for negligence.

Jonathan Soto filed a complaint Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court. He seeks $25,000 in damages after he said a maintenance worker for the city of Long Beach ran him over on Feb. 4, court documents show.

Soto alleges that maintenance worker Stanley Delaney struck him while picking up trash in a city-owned 2006 Dodge Ram truck on the beach where Soto was sleeping despite his "being within Delaney’s clear and unobstructed line of vision."

Delaney was allegedly traveling at an unsafe speed and was distracted by a passenger, the lawsuit said.

Soto suffered injuries including a broken pelvis, the complaint says.

The Long Beach city attorney's office did not immediately reply to an email seeking comment. A telephone listing for Delaney was disconnected.

Correction: A previous version of this article contained an editing error that indicated a county vehicle struck and killed a sunbather on Venice Beach. That case did not involve a fatality.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Contact Us