Boyle Heights

Man Pleads Not Guilty in Hit-and-Run Death of 101-Year-Old

The 41-year-old man pleaded not guilty to two counts against him

A man charged in connection with a hit-and-run that killed a 101-year-old pedestrian earlier this week pleaded not guilty on Friday, officials confirmed.

Ricardo Avalos, 41, charged with a felony hit-and-run and vehicular manslaughter, pleaded not guilty on both counts, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Bail is set at $50,000, and a preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 17, the DA’s office said.

On Wednesday at about 6 a.m., 101-year-old Jose Noriega was crossing the intersection of Lorena Street and Opal Street in Boyle Heights when a van hit him, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Police said witnesses followed the fleeing 1997 Chevrolet Astro van and blocked its path a short distance away, where witnesses detained Avalos until police arrived and arrested him.

Noriega was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead just before 8 a.m.

Community members told NBC4 they are outraged over Noriega's death at a crosswalk that many consider "dangerous."

The owners of a nearby bakery told NBC4 that in the two and half years that they have been there, there have been five major accidents in the crosswalk, two of which were fatal.
 

Contact Us