Love will find a way, even in a time of social distancing.
Marriage licenses and civil ceremonies are now being offered to couples whose appointments were postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak and stay-home orders in Southern California. Starting Friday, services are available at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
Josemar and Tatiyana Brown were the first to tie the knot Friday. The couple shared a kiss in front of a booth set up for photos outside the Honda Center.
Local news from across Southern California
“It’s surreal, but once this is all over we will celebrate,” Josemar Brown said. “We just got to get through COVID.”
Staff members will be inside booths, providing a safety barrier. After arriving at the Honda Center, couples must wait in their cars until contacted by a staff member.
The plan is to avoid people gathering at booths.
The Clerk-Recorder office was initially closed March 17 due to county and state stay-home orders, forcing some couples to postpone plans.
Here’s how the process will work in a time of social distancing.
- Service is by appointment only from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The Marriage Service Hotline will be open Monday at 714-834-2740.
- Couples must complete their marriage license application online prior to calling .
- Sixty appointments will be offered daily.
- Social distancing guidelines will be observed.
- For couples getting a marriage license, only the couple can be present. No guests are allowed.
- One witness may be present for couples having a ceremony performed.
- Couples will need to pay fees with a check or money order.
- Couples must present a valid government-issued photo ID.Couples must present a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Couples must present a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Next-day appointments must be scheduled before 3 p.m. the day prior.
“I am excited to be able to offer marriage services again during these challenging times,” said Clerk-Recorder Hugh Nguyen. “We looked into ways of providing these services in the safest way possible due to the demand and feel that this is a great solution.”