Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Tuesday the first 15 Los Angeles streets that will undergo a makeover under his Great Streets urban renewal program. The mayor's office chose one street in each of the 15 council districts to receive improvements aimed at making them more pedestrian-friendly and livable.
"We want Los Angeles to celebrate its neighborhoods once again. We know that rebuilding the city doesn't happen top down," Garcetti said "It happens from the grassroots up, and it happens in any neighborhood starting with a main street."
- Traffic Maps: Download the NBCLA News App
The goal is to have a main street in every LA neighborhood for residents to walk, shop and eat without having to bring their cars.
Local news from across Southern California
"The neighborhoods shouldn't be just about cars, they should be about people," Garcetti said. "Angelenos are looking for places to meet, they're looking for places to shop, they're looking for places to walk with their families."
The project includes plans to expand sidewalks, add more bike lanes, grow trees and plants, improve street lighting and add street furniture.
"I'm tired of driving and having to go from a business to get my car and drive to another business," cyclist Zachary Rynew said.
The thoroughfares range from San Pedro's Gaffey Street to the San Fernando Valley's Van Nuys Boulevard, and from Venice Boulevard in Mar Vista to Cesar Chavez Street in Boyle Heights.
- Highland Park, along North Figueroa Street between Avenue 50 and Avenue 60, in the First District
- North Hollywood, along Lankershim Boulevard between Chandler and Victory boulevards, in the Second District
- Reseda, along Sherman Way between Wilbur and Lindley avenues, in the Third District
- Koreatown and East Hollywood, along Western Avenue between Melrose Avenue and Third Street, in the Fourth District
- Westwood, along Westwood Boulevard between Le Conte Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard, in the Fifth District
- Van Nuys, along Van Nuys Boulevard between Victory Boulevard and Oxnard Street, in the Sixth District
- Pacoima, along Van Nuys Boulevard between Laurel Canyon and San Fernando Road, in the Seventh District
- Hyde Park, along Crenshaw Boulevard between 78th Street and Florence Avenue, in the Eighth District
- South-Central, along Central Avenue between Martin Luther King Boulevard and Vernon Avenue, in the Ninth District
- Mid-Wilshire, along Pico Boulevard, between Hauser and Fairfax, in the 10th District
- Mar Vista, along Venice Boulevard between Beethoven Street and Inglewood Boulevard, in the 11th District
- Northridge, along Reseda Boulevard between Plummer and Parthenia streets, in the 12th District
- Hollywood, along Hollywood Boulevard between La Brea Avenue and Gower Street, in the 13th District
- Boyle Heights, along Cesar Chavez Avenue between Evergreen Avenue and St. Louis Street, in the 14th District
- San Pedro, along Gaffey Street between 15th Street and the Harbor (110) Freeway, in the 15th District.
Ted Chen contributed to this report.