Father Discusses Kelly Thomas' Injuries

Ron Thomas and his attorney conduct a news conference Wednesday as investigations into Kelly Thomas' death continue

The father of Kelly Thomas, a 37-year-old homeless man who died five days after an altercation with Fullerton police, spoke Wednesday about the injuries his son suffered.

"I'm very emotional, very broke up," said Thomas.

Thomas says he knew about the medical records from the moments after his son's death, but now he says it's hard again, because the documents are being made public.

Kelly Thomas Case Timeline

Attorney Garo Mardirossian, Ron Thomas' attorney, released the records and graphic recreations of Thomas' injuries at the news conference. Ron Thomas said the medical records were investigated by a team of doctors hired by the attorney.

"They confirmed what we thought all along," Thomas said. "We didn't analyze these, professional doctors did. They tell me clearly that Kelly was murdered."

The coroner's office has not determined a cause of death.

Madirossian released computer-generated images based on Thomas's medical records that show he had multiple broken bones in his face and cracked ribs. He said the release of the information is an attempt to get the investigating agencies to move forward. No charges have been filed in connection with the case.

"This information is being released with the expectation and hope that it will cause the prosecutorial agencies to finally bring criminal charges against the Fullerton police officers involved in Kelly Thomas' brutal beating and death," according to a statement from Mardirossian's office.


Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.

Southern California races to watch in the Super Tuesday primary election

Key Super Tuesday U.S. House races to watch in Southern California

"They owe answers," said Thomas.

A spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office says there is still more work to do.

"We also need to consider all of the witness statements," said Farrah Emami. "We need to consider the video, we need to consider the statements from the medical personnel. All of that is really relevant."

Six officers involved in the July 5 altercation are on paid leave. The district attorney and FBI are conducting investigations, and the city hired an independent counsel to conduct and internal investigation. 

Thomas met with the district attorney in mid-August to discuss the case.

Officers responding to a report of someone breaking into vehicles at  Fullerton transit station encountered Thomas on the night of July 5. Thomas was hospitalized after the altercation and removed from live support five days later.

The death and some city officials' reaction to the case sparked outrage in Fullerton. Residents have called for a recall of some city officials and packed city council meetings to express outrage.

Thomas has made the case into a personal crusade. And he does not mince words.

"We have killers, murderers, out there with their badges and their guns being paid to walk the streets on vacation right now," said Thomas. "We need to get them off the streets."

Contact Us