Baldwin Park

Suspect in Killing of Woman in Her 70s Arrested After Hours-Long Standoff at Baldwin Park Home

A woman in her 70s died at the scene after being beaten to death, LA Sheriff's Department says.

NBC Universal, Inc.

A 27-year-old man suspected of killing one person and injuring two others was taken into custody Thursday morning after an hours-long standoff with authorities at a Baldwin Park home.

Officers with the Baldwin Park Police Department initially responded to the 3400 block of Mangum Street at about 9:40 p.m. for a report of a "disturbance involving a male suspect attacking an individual with a stick," authorities said.

The officers discovered three victims outside the home, two of whom were taken to a hospital and treated for their injuries, then released, according to LASD. Authorities did not specify what the injuries were.

A third person, a woman in her 70s, died at the scene after being found unconscious in the home's yard, LASD says.

"Our victim is a long-time friend of our suspect's mother," said Lt. Derrick Alfred, of the sheriff's department. "So, we believe he knew who she was."

A Sheriff's SWAT team was called to the scene after the man suspected in the attack barricaded himself inside a home he was renting from his mother in the back of the property, authorities said.

LASD Homicide Lt. Derrick Alfred said the suspect's mother owns the property and was renting out the main house. He said the suspect was vandalizing the main house when an argument broke out between the people that lived there and the suspect.


Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.

Mistrial Declared in Actor Danny Masterson's Rape Trial

Authorities Seek Possible Additional Victims in Serial Rape Investigation

Lt. Alfred added that the suspect's family and a friend arrived at the home to try to intervene, a struggle occurred and the suspect beat the 70-year-old victim to death.

The suspect was taken into custody after tear gas and a K-9 was used to get him out, Lt. Alfred said.

The Sheriff's Department added that they're not looking for other individuals, and there are no additional victims.

Contact Us