OC DA Reopens Abuse Investigation of Teacher

A Wilmington teacher was arrested in connection with alleged abuse of children at a school

Orange County prosecutors say a dropped molestation investigation is being reopened so officials can re-examine the actions of a former Los Angeles elementary school teacher who has been charged with molesting a dozen students.

Spokeswoman Susan Kang Schroeder told the Los Angeles Times on Friday that the allegations of four youths against Robert Pimentel will be forwarded to Los Angeles prosecutors.

Pimentel, a former teacher at George de la Torre Jr. Elementary School, was arrested Wednesday on charges of molesting 12 students following a 10-month police investigation.

Kang Schroeder says the 2005 investigation into allegations from one Newport Beach youth and three Long Beach youths was dropped because of insufficient evidence, lack of corroboration, problems with the availability of witnesses and other issues.

Pimentel, 57, of Newport Beach, pleaded not guilty to 15 counts of child sexual abuse of 12 victims, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

The investigation began when several girls told their parents that they had been inappropriately touched by a fourth-grade teacher during school.

Pimentel left his position with the school during the investigation, which began March 15, 2012.

Pimentel's attorney, Richard Knickerbocker, said his client is innocent.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us