Police will continue digging in the back yard of an Ontario home on Friday morning following a break in the case of a missing Laguna Hills man, authorities said.
Oscar Escobar, a 29-year-old self-employed truck driver, was last seen Aug. 28, 2012, in Fontana, said Sgt. David McBride of the Ontario Police Department.
The case was originally handled by the Orange County Sheriff's Department and was turned over to Ontario police about a month ago, McBride said.
On Wednesday, a search warrant was issued for the home, located in the 1700 block of Palm Avenue, McBride said.
McBride said leads surfaced that tied the occupants of the home to the investigation. Three people were questioned by police and later released, he said. No arrests had been made by late Thursday.
Following a search of the home's interior, police started digging in the back yard. They stopped their excavation at nightfall Thursday and will resume digging in the morning Friday.
Aerial video showed officers sifting through dirt. Multiple canopies were set up and cadaver dogs were assisting in the search.
Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.
Neighbors said the investigation did not surprise them, saying the home was notorious in the neighborhood for drugs.