Los Angeles

Driver In Long Pursuit Waits For Authorities Outside Supermarket Near USC

The driver walked towards the grocery store with his arms in the air but no police units were behind him.

NBC Universal, Inc.

The driver in a lengthy pursuit through Los Angeles surrendered outside a Ralph's grocery store near USC awaiting to be taken into custody Thursday night.

The pursuit began at around 10 p.m. when the driver of a white Kia was being chased by California Highway Patrol officers through the San Fernando Valley.

The driver and a passenger could be seen from Newschopper4 overhead.

When the driver reached the downtown Los Angeles area, he kept running through the red lights which caused CHP to pull away from the pursuit.

At one point during the pursuit the driver let his female passenger out of the vehicle near South Los Angeles and continued driving with no police units following him.

An LAPD vehicle began following the driver for a few minutes but left as well.

The driver then went in and out of at least two different gas stations, without stepping out of the vehicle.


Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.

Motorcyclist crashes after hitting rocks thrown by man onto LA freeway

Dashcam video shows LA Sheriff's SUV rollover crash at Santa Clarita intersection

Another dark colored vehicle appeared to follow the pursuit driver around the gas stations. It was unclear what their relation was to the pursuit driver.

The dark colored vehicle stopped following the pursuit driver when he reached a Ralph's grocery store on Vermont Avenue and West Adams Boulevard.

The driver abandoned the white Kia and walked towards the store with his arms up.

There were no police units or LAPD helicopter following the driver.

The driver kept his arms in the air and knelt to the ground, waiting for officers to arrive.

He eventually got down on the ground with his arms extended, waiting for any police officers to arrive.

Customers entering and exiting the store stopped by to check on the driver.

It was unclear if he was taken into custody.

Contact Us